( 1924 - 1963 )
Sabu Dastagir was born in Karapur, Mysore, INDIA, on January 27th, 1924, beginning his movie career at the age of 13.
He was one of the most effective elements in the aventures of the couple Montez-Hall. In the beginning of the 50s, he left Hollywood for going to Europe. He had the good luck of playing along with Vittorio de Sica in BUONGIORNO, ELEFANTE!, filmed in Italy in 1952.
When he came back to the United States, he and his brother installed a furniture store but the business was a failure. Later he appeared, sporadically, in circus and TV shows. He came back to the movies in the 60s, his last appearance was in a movie of Walt Disney, A TIGER WALKS (1963).
He died a little bit after the making of this movie, due to a heart attack on December 2nd, 1963, in Chatsworth, California, USA.
From: Robert Hemmes (email@example.com)
To: Vivian Perez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
It's been a long time now, but I knew Sabu as a teen-ager. Your facts are correct in his biography. What I can add is that his brother's name was Shaik, and he was killed in a robbery of his furniture store. Sabu's agent was Joe Espitalier who lived in Escondido CA. He was known as "20% Joe" because he collected 20% instead of the usual 10%. This is not of great interest to today's public, but I was reminded of the days when I knew him.
Mysore Sabu: Meet India First Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame - By KARTHIK VENKATESH
01. Tiger Walks, A (1964) * As: Ram Singh
02. Rampage (1963) * As: Talib
03. Herrin der Welt - Teil I (1960) * As: Dr. Lin-Chor
04. Sabu and the Magic Ring (1957) * As: Sabu
05. Jaguar (1956)
06. Jungle Hell (1956) * As: Jungle Boy
07. Baghdad (1954)
08. Tesoro del Bengala, Il (1954) * As: Ainur
09. Black Panther, The (1953) * As: Himself
10. Buongiorno, elefante! (1952) * As: Sultan of Nagore
11. Savage Drums (1951) * As: Tipo
12. Song of India (1949) * As: Ramdar
13. Maneater of Kumaon (1948) * As: Narain
14. End of the River, The (1947) * As: Manoel
15. Black Narcissus (1947) * As: Young Prince
16. Tangier (1946) * As: Pepe
17. Cobra Woman (1944) * As: Kado
18. White Savage (1943) * As: Orano
19. Arabian Nights (1942) * As: Ali Ben Ali
20. Jungle Book (1942) * As: Mowgli
21. Thief of Bagdad, The (1940) * As: Abu
22. Drum, The (1938) * As: Principe Azim
23. Elephant Boy (1937) * As: Toomai
Go to Jon Hall
Go to Turhan Bey
Questions or Comments:
Vivian Perez email@example.com
Luisa Peguero firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to Maria Montez Home Page